[ofa-general] entry points in OFED kernel module

sumeet gandhare sumeetgandhare at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:38:25 PDT 2009

Hi,
I am new to OFED stack and wish to understand the design from the source
code. I have read the chapter 3 of IBA spec from OpenFabrics and understand
the concept of Queue Pair, Completion Queue, work request, consumer, LID,
GUID. Basically in IB, the consumer process enqueues the work request to the
send queue pair which specifies the virtual address of the message to be
sent and destination LID and QPN. The receiving consumer enqueues work
elements to receive queue specifying the virtual address of the message
being received. On arrival of the message , the completion queue contains a
CQE notification to the client. So hardware basically is a DMA engine which
transfer the message from source virtual address to desitnation virtual
address. I wish to understand how this part better.

Please could you suggest entry points in the stack like verbs and the
interaction with device driver like iPath and Mlx.. What all files I should
look at and in what sequence to better understand the programming model and
its implementation to send and receive the IB packets on the wire?

Thanks
Sumeet