[ofa-general] New proposal for memory management

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri May 1 06:07:40 PDT 2009

On Apr 30, 2009, at 6:10 PM, Barrett, Brian W wrote:

> I'm done now.  You don't want to fix your crap, that's fine.  Just
> don't be
> surprised by the continued "why you shouldn't use IB" presentations
> from
> people who have to write applications to it.

Let's not forget that Brian is not only an MPI developer (i.e., a
network programmer), he's also a customer.

If OpenFabrics only wants the HPC market, you can probably ignore this
entire thread.  The OpenFabrics-based MPI's will hobble along like
they have been.  If you want larger markets, it's probably pretty safe
to assume that Brian's reactions are going to be quite similar to
enterprise network programmers.

To be clear: it's not just verbs education (books, tutorials, FAQ's,
etc.) that is required to win the hearts and minds of enterprise
network programmers.  You also need a network API that is no more
complex than common sockets usage.    Verbs -- and the additional
baggage that it requires for performance, like registration caches and
memory allocation hooking -- does not currently meet this requirement.

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems