[ofa-general] Re: [mwg] Re: RDMA tutorial and OFA

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Fri May 1 06:17:44 PDT 2009

I'd also like to call the IWG's and MWG's attention to the other
thread currently running on the general list: "New proposal for memory
management."

There are many points in there about attracting non-HPC / enterprise
network programmers to write verbs-based applications.  It's not just
documentation / education that is missing -- having a series of FAQs
and tutorials about verbs programming is not enough.  You need a
network programming API that is no more complex than common sockets
usage.

Specifically: let's not forget that HPC (OF's biggest market right
now) tends to attract network programmers with PhD's, and/or who are
among the top programming talent in the world (yes, that's being
snobbish -- but it's still true).  To make OF within reach of the
masses, you want to lower the bar so that legions of sockets-based
network programmers can hope to learn/use this stuff without requiring
them to get a PhD first.

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems