[ofa-general] OFED, the backported <linux/scatterlist.h> header and sg_init_table()

Jon Mason jon at opengridcomputing.com
Wed May 6 08:56:42 PDT 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 08:30:55AM +0300, Jack Morgenstein wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 May 2009 18:06, Jon Mason wrote:
> > No, we currently duplicate all the scatterlist functionality.  Including
> > ncrypto.h would greatly simplify the backport headers, but it is a
> > RHEL5.2/5.3 only solution.  If this change is needed for all other
> > backports, then a better solution will be needed.
> >
> Each backport has its OWN directory.  The backports are not identical
> for all kernels.  There is absolutely no problem with handling backports
> per kernel/per distribution. Therefore, the RHEL 5.2/5.3 solution can be
> used for those backports alone, without affecting any of the others.
> Other backports will have a different change.

Yes, the point I was trying to make is that the fix I have will only
apply to RHEL5.  If a more sweeping change is needed, then something
else will need to be done.  I believe the root issue with the reported
was on RHEL5.3, so this will probably solve their problem unless they
need it for all OFED supported releases.

> For RHEL5.2/5.3, my concern is that if someone will actually write an ncrypto kernel
> application, and include ncrypto.h along with the infiniband headers, there will be
> compilation problems because the scatterlist functionality fixes will appear twice.

Excellent point.  The patch I just sent out should prevent this from
happening as well.