[ofa-general] ibv_devinfo -v conventions for RNIC in 1.4.1-X

Mike Aho ahomike at us.ibm.com
Thu May 21 05:42:16 PDT 2009

Steve,  Below is the verbose version I got as an example for a Chelsio
card on a Dell machine.  I REALLY like that an RNIC can show its settings
via ibv_devinfo.  But an RNIC is different from an IB card and perhaps
ibv_devinfo should have an indicator [by port?] that differentiates an
RNIC from an IB HCA and do the output differently.  I doubt 1.4.1 can
change this short term but 1.5 could incorporate a meaningful change.
Developing a "readme" to cover it would recover separate maintenance and
be challenging to keep updated and RNIC meaningful output would be more
useful.

It appears that the node_guid and sys_image_guid incorporate the MAC
addresses into the format.  Are these fields really useful as GUIDs?  This
also assumes a single port RNIC and I could see a two-port RNIC coming
along or an IO card with an IB port and Ethernet (RNIC) port.
I could see MAC address(es) being shown in the port subsection based on a
port indicator enum of IB HCA, Ethernet, etc.

The max_raw_ipv6_qp and max_raw_eth_qp seem superfluous on a plain RNIC
but perhaps make sense on a combined RNIC and HCA adapter.  So I think it
can stay.

Under the port subsection, the use of the enum values for mtu size are
good for an IB HCA but seem not applicable to an RNIC.  Perhaps these
should move from an enum to a range of values for RNIC.

I can live with some of the other IB artifacts under the port subsection
such as pkey and the table lengths but these could be suppressed on an
RNIC port indicator in the future.  The active width, speed, and physical
state need to change to address an RNIC port.

Mike Aho

hca_id: cxgb3_0
        fw_ver:                         7.0.0
        node_guid:                      0007:4305:6009:0000
        sys_image_guid:                 0007:4305:6009:0000
        vendor_id:                      0x1425
        vendor_part_id:                 48
        hw_ver:                         0x1
        board_id:                       1425.30
        phys_port_cnt:                  1
        max_mr_size:                    0x100000000
        page_size_cap:                  0xffff000
        max_qp:                         32736
        max_qp_wr:                      1023
        device_cap_flags:               0x00228000
        max_sge:                        4
        max_sge_rd:                     1
        max_cq:                         32767
        max_cqe:                        8192
        max_mr:                         32768
        max_pd:                         32767
        max_qp_rd_atom:                 8
        max_ee_rd_atom:                 0
        max_res_rd_atom:                0
        max_qp_init_rd_atom:            8
        max_ee_init_rd_atom:            0
        atomic_cap:                     ATOMIC_NONE (0)
        max_ee:                         0
        max_rdd:                        0
        max_mw:                         0
        max_raw_ipv6_qp:                0
        max_raw_ethy_qp:                0
        max_mcast_grp:                  0
        max_mcast_qp_attach:            0
        max_total_mcast_qp_attach:      0
        max_ah:                         0
        max_fmr:                        0
        max_srq:                        0
        max_pkeys:                      0
        local_ca_ack_delay:             0
                port:   1
                        state:                  PORT_ACTIVE (4)
                        max_mtu:                4096 (5)
                        active_mtu:             2048 (4)
                        sm_lid:                 0
                        port_lid:               0
                        port_lmc:               0x00
                        max_msg_sz:             0xffffffff
                        port_cap_flags:         0x009f0000
                        max_vl_num:             invalid value (0)
                        bad_pkey_cntr:          0x0
                        qkey_viol_cntr:         0x0
                        sm_sl:                  0
                        pkey_tbl_len:           1
                        gid_tbl_len:            1
                        subnet_timeout:         0
                        init_type_reply:        0
                        active_width:           4X (2)
                        active_speed:           5.0 Gbps (2)
                        phys_state:             invalid physical state (0)

Mike  Aho