[ofa-general] OFED interfering with Ethernet

Sebastian Kalcher kalcher at kip.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun Sep 20 16:17:55 PDT 2009

> The openib init script touches all sorts of weird things, betcha one
> of those is your problem... See if you can narrow it down?
>
> You can try loading the modules yourself to confirm it is not a module
> problem:
>  modprobe mlx4_ib
>  modprobe ib_ipoib
>  mopdrobe ib_ucm
>  modprobe ib_uverbs
>  modprobe ib_umad

Thanks a lot Jason!

solution. No more side effects in the ethernet. The ipoib bandwidth
drops significantly though. I will look into the init script and try
to narrow it down.

Interestingly the problem does not show up w/o the HP GbE switch. I
isolated the nodes and connected them back to back, as well as with an
older 8-port unmanaged switch. In both cases I don't see the negative
effect.

Sebastian