[ofa-general] Re: general Digest, Vol 32, Issue 108

Vladimir Sokolovsky vlad at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Sep 29 12:57:25 PDT 2009

Chris wrote:

>> Hey Guys,
>>

>> So after compiling and installing everthing from OFED 1.5 I get this
>> issue
>> when trying to start iscsi with ib_iser.
>>

>> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.18-164.el5xen #1 SMP Thu Sep 3
>> 04:03:03 EDT
>> 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Starting iSCSI initiator service: FATAL: Error inserting ib_iser
>> (/lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5xen/kernel/drivers/infiniband/ulp/iser/ib_iser.=
>>
>> ko):
>> Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
>> [ OK ]
>> Setting up iSCSI targets: iscsiadm: No records found!
>> [ OK ]
>>
>> iscsi: registered transport (tcp)
>> ib_iser: disagrees about version of symbol ib_fmr_pool_unmap
>> ib_iser: Unknown symbol ib_fmr_pool_unmap
>> ib_iser: disagrees about version of symbol ib_create_cq
>> ib_iser: Unknown symbol ib_create_cq
>> ib_iser: disagrees about version of symbol rdma_resolve_addr
>> ib_iser: Unknown symbol rdma_resolve_addr
>> ib_iser: disagrees about version of symbol ib_create_fmr_pool
>> ib_iser: Unknown symbol ib_create_fmr_pool
>> ib_iser: disagrees about version of symbol ib_dereg_mr
Hi Chris,
OFED-1.5 supports ib_iser on kernel 2.6.30 only.
So, after OFED-1.5 installation you have an updated IB kernel modules
under /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5xen/update/kernel/drivers/infiniband/
except ib_iser (which is coming with RHEL installation).
This prevents you from loading ib_iser module.

So, if you want to use ib_iser you should uninstall OFED-1.5 and install
IB packages coming with RHEL.

Regards,
Vladimir