[libfabric-users] Using the verbs provider with manual address exchange

Ilango, Arun arun.ilango at intel.com
Thu Sep 1 14:07:29 PDT 2016

Hi Piotr,

To clarify a few things,
* The rc_pingong.c example in fabtests uses OFI connection management APIs (https://ofiwg.github.io/libfabric/master/man/fi_cm.3.html) to establish a connection between two FI_EP_MSG endpoints.
* The OFI verbs provider internally uses rdmacm to connect IB queue pairs and is not visible to apps using OFI.
* AVs are used only for unconnected endpoint types (FI_EP_RDM and FI_EP_DGRAM).

To run a simple hello program with a client and server, the client needs to know the server's IPoIB address. You can take a look at the example in simple/msg.c in fabtests. This example uses FI_EP_MSG endpoint type. The apps need not exchange IB addresses since that would be handled by OFI verbs. For now, OFI verbs support only tagged messages (FI_TAGGED capability flag) for FI_EP_RDM endpoint type. Please take a look at benchmarks/rdm_tagged_pingpong.c for an example.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Arun.