[Ofa_wgchairs] OFA Working Group Reports

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Thu Sep 21 09:54:58 PDT 2017

OFIWG:
PM project - we have concluded our review of the current NVML library.  The results of the recent Flash Memory Summit presentation were used to drive a discussion of use cases.  This resulted in the identification of several key areas for discussion.  Two broad use cases have been identified which are:
- data replication to persistent memory for high availability,
- globally shared, remote, persistent memory.
Next steps on PM are to begin to assemble a detailed list of requirements, and to begin discussing the detailed alternatives.
Next two meetings are devoted to middleware for Big Data - zeromq, RabbitMQ, NetIO.
The SC17 Committee accepted our two BoFs, but asked that they be merged into one, which we have now done.  A draft of the currently proposed abstract is:

"Application performance and scalability is affected by the design and usability of network APIs.  Open Fabrics libfabric promises high-performance access to fabric services, through an implementation agnostic interface.

Based on the architectural work that went into the creation of a fabric-agnostic API, Open Fabrics is a natural fit for discussing expanding the adoption of fabric APIs.

This BoF will begin with a series of lightning talks to share experiences developing to libfabric.  It will conclude by proposing that Open Fabrics develop fabric extensions to the C++ networking technical specification, for submission to the ISO C++ standards committee."