[ofiwg] ofiwg item: supporting other OS's

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Fri Jan 8 11:26:03 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 11:13:09AM -0800, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>    Does libfabric assume C99?  MSVC is not a C99 compiler and never will
>    be, according to every source I've ever seen

Apparently soon you'll be able to use clang as the language front end
on windows:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/21/microsoft_promises_clang_for_windows_in_november_visual_c_update/

The point, apparently, is to fix the historically bad language support in
MSVC++.

Also, clang and gcc will both natively target windows now, and IIRC,
there is even a way to just build windows DLLs straight from Linux
with clang, so you can integrate with test infrastructure etc.

Also, FWIW, RH supplies gcc 4.9 as an option on all their platforms
now. Supporting a 'system' compiler is a really old fashioned
idea. Use a good compiler on all platforms.

>    Given the choice between limiting libfabric to a subset of C99 and not
>    supporting Windows, I vote for C99 100 times out of 100.

C99? C11 is where it's at now :)

Jason