[ofw] ib_portinfo_record_t padding history?

Fab Tillier ftillier at microsoft.com
Tue May 18 14:18:36 PDT 2010

Sean Hefty wrote on Tue, 18 May 2010 at 12:08:08

> You should be safe removing the padding.  It may cause Itanium to
> complain about unaligned fields, but I would expect it to work.

For kernel mode, see: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bit_chklist.mspx

About 3/4 of the way down:

" Itanium-based systems require natural alignment for memory references (that is, 32-bit accesses at a 4-byte boundary). Misaligned memory references raise an exception on an Itanium-based system and bug check the system."

For user mode, see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680621(VS.85).aspx

Default behavior in user-mode is that unaligned access will not be fixed automatically.