[ofw] IPoIB support for IMGP V3 packets?

Smith, Stan stan.smith at intel.com
Thu Sep 23 12:15:23 PDT 2010

Tzachi Dar wrote:
> I believe that this is the default even on windows 2003, not to
> mention the normal 2008 R2 ones.
>
> Currently we ask people to change the default to use IGMP v2. We can
> continue with this, or do a bigger work of understanding which
> packets are being used.
>
> I believe that the first thing to do is to try and remember why this
> was done at the first place. I believe that the main idea was related
> to telling when a multicast group was abandoned (that is a multicast
> group was created by a packet being sent). As far as I remember we
> have once thought about it and reached a conclusion that the packet
> parsing was not realy needed.
>
> Thanks
> Tzachi

Hello,
  Thank you for the igmp setup/opeartional explaination.
Perhaps we should consider handing the IMGP_VERSION3_REPORT_TYPE packets the same as IPoIB handles V2?
The case of LEAVE_GROUP does not occur for V3 versioned packets?

stan.

        case IGMP_V2_MEMBERSHIP_REPORT:
                /*
                        This mean that some body open listener on this group
                        Change type of mcast endpt to SEND_RECV endpt. So mcast garbage
                        collector will not delete this mcast endpt.
                */
                IPOIB_PRINT( TRACE_LEVEL_INFORMATION, IPOIB_DBG_MCAST,
                        ("Received IGMP_V2_MEMBERSHIP_REPORT message\n") );
                endpt_status = __endpt_mgr_ref( p_port, fake_mcast_mac, &p_endpt );
                IPOIB_PRINT( TRACE_LEVEL_INFORMATION, IPOIB_DBG_ENDPT,
                                ("__endpt_mgr_ref called for %p\n", p_endpt));
                if ( p_endpt )
                {
                        cl_obj_lock( &p_port->obj );
                        p_endpt->is_mcast_listener = TRUE;
                        cl_obj_unlock( &p_port->obj );
            ipoib_endpt_deref( p_endpt );
                }
                break;

        case IGMP_V2_LEAVE_GROUP:
                /*
                        This mean that somebody CLOSE listener on this group .
                    Change type of mcast endpt to SEND_ONLY endpt. So mcast
                        garbage collector will delete this mcast endpt next time.
                */
                IPOIB_PRINT( TRACE_LEVEL_INFORMATION, IPOIB_DBG_MCAST,
                             ("Received IGMP_V2_LEAVE_GROUP message\n") );
                endpt_status = __endpt_mgr_ref( p_port, fake_mcast_mac, &p_endpt );
                IPOIB_PRINT( TRACE_LEVEL_INFORMATION, IPOIB_DBG_ENDPT,
                        ("__endpt_mgr_ref called for %p\n", p_endpt));
                if ( p_endpt )
                {
                        cl_obj_lock( &p_port->obj );
                        p_endpt->is_mcast_listener = FALSE;