[openfabrics-ewg] Re: How to generate IBED releases using 1.0 branch

Sujal Das Sujal at Mellanox.com
Mon Apr 3 10:38:43 PDT 2006

Jeff,

The BOD voted to support the EWG initiative to enable IB vendors to create a
common and supportable enterprise-grade distribution - something they can
stand behind and support 24x7. The main challenge to be solved, as Dave Ford
has put forth numerous times, is supportability.

The goal is certainly to converge on one stack, but not compromise
supportability in any way.  If there is a compromise on supportability,
individual vendors will be again forced to create and release their own
snapshots of Open Fabrics that cannot be proven interoperable - we have seen
this happen from many of us as recently as the Jan-Feb.

We have two possible outcomes out of this effort:
(1) Possible confusion (since the BOD voted on this unanimously, I have my
doubts about the extent and implication of this, but one can always argue)
(2) A common, interoperable Open Fabrics distribution from all IB vendors
that they can confidently stand behind and support 24x7

I think (2) is far more important and we need to allow the team to make this
happen and not distract any further.

Come end of May, after the software is released, let's see if we have a
converged EWG and Open Fabrics 1.0.  May be we will have one, and this
discussion will be mute.  If we do not, lets re-evaluate then and see what
we can do.

-Sujal