[openfabrics-ewg] Draft IBED Positioning Statement

Scott Bahling sbahling at novell.com
Sun Apr 9 10:42:51 PDT 2006

Hi,

I have been following this thread, and see some confusion about the
difference between the OpenFabrics 1.0 release and the IBED release. To
me it seems clear, because it matches the way we create our distros.
There are official community releases of packages that make up the base
of our distro. The same would be true for IBED which grabs code from
OpenFabrics, kernel.org, Open MPI, OSU MPI, etc...

One tip - IBED should not fork to far, if at all, from these community
code bases. Any patches that end up in IBED should come from (backported
if necessary) the official community trees. This means if bug is first
found in IBED, we need to get it fixed in the community tree first. If
we don't do this, we will end up with code that is difficult to maintain
for any length of time.

What is not clear to me is the stability commitment behind IBED. As an
enterprise customer (end user or ISV), I would expect in that in the
IBED minor releases there are no regressions in functionality or
interfaces (API/ABI), and no (appreciable) regressions in performance
from the initial release major release (1.0?).

The IBED minor releases should provide bug and security fixes and
possible feature enhancements that have been QA'd to ensure no
regressions as stated above. Immediate bug fixes can be delivered to
customers by the distros or vendors, but are eventually rolled into the
standard release. Any fixes to customers should be approved and
submitted to the IBED (and parent community releases if not already
there) svn before providing to the customer - that way insuring the fix
is standardized, and makes it in the next general release.

Also, how long can a customer expect a specific major release to be
maintained and supported? Our experience is that enterprise customers
expect 5-10 years of life.

-Scott