[openfabrics-ewg] IBED-1.0-rc3 installer feedback

Scott Weitzenkamp (sweitzen) sweitzen at cisco.com
Tue Apr 11 00:30:23 PDT 2006

Here's some feedback on installation, should I file bugs/enhancements in
bugzilla for these?

0) build.sh does not compile Open MPI, forcing me to run install.sh to
compile Open MPI.  This makes it harder to set up a build server used to
just compile the code for installation elsewhere.

1) Too many references to Mellanox in the docs.

# fgrep Mellanox README.txt docs/IBED_Installation_Guide.txt
README.txt:Mellanox IBED Distribution v1.0 for Linux
README.txt:This is the Mellanox InfiniBand Distribution (IBED) ver. 1.0
software
 package.
README.txt:1) Server platform with InfiniBand HCA (see Mellanox IBED
Distributio
n Release Notes for details)
README.txt:2) Linux OS (see Mellanox IBED Distribution Release Notes for
details
)
README.txt:  o   Firmware for Mellanox's switch and HCA products
docs/IBED_Installation_Guide.txt:Mellanox IBED Distribution Installation
Guide
docs/IBED_Installation_Guide.txt: 2. Contents of the Mellanox IBED
Distribution
docs/IBED_Installation_Guide.txt:2. Contents of the Mellanox IBED
Distribution
docs/IBED_Installation_Guide.txt:  o   Firmware for Mellanox's switch
and HCA pr
oducts
docs/IBED_Installation_Guide.txt:     "Mellanox IBED Release Notes".

2) When I run install.sh or build.sh and tell it to compile both MPIs, I
get the same questions twice, which I assume one is for MVAPICH and one
for Open MPI, but this needs to be clearer:

The following compiler(s) on your system can be used to build/install
MPI:  gcc

Do you wish to create/install an MPI RPM with gcc? [Y/n]:

The following compiler(s) will be used to build the MPI RPM(s):  gcc

The following compiler(s) on your system can be used to build/install
MPI:  gcc

Do you wish to create/install an MPI RPM with gcc? [Y/n]:

3) It would be nice if install.sh asked me if I wanted to configure IP
address, rather than forcing me to.

The default IPoIB interface configuration is based on a LAN interface
configura.
You may change this default configuration in the following steps.

Enter LAN interface to be used for setting ib0 interface [eth0]:

4) I would like to see /etc/infiniband/ifcfg-ib0 be in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.

5) I would like to see entries for ipoib and sdp in /etc/modprobe.conf.

6) It would be nice if install.sh offered to setup
/etc/security/limits.conf.

7) If I run install.sh on one machine, then install the resulting RPMS
on a different machine, I get slightly different sets of files installed
on the two machines in /usr/local/ibed:

< ./BUILD_ID
< ./LICENSE
< ./README.txt