[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] Multicast traffic performace of OFED 1.0 ipoib

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Aug 2 07:54:09 PDT 2006

Is the performance being measured on an identical topology and hardware set
as before?  Multicast by its very nature is sensitive to topology, hardware
components used (buffer depth, latency, etc.) and workload occurring within
the fabric.  Loss occurs as a function of congestion or lack of forward
progress resulting in a timeout and thus a toss of a packet.   If the
hardware is different or the settings chosen are changed, then the results
would be expected to change.

It is not clear what you hope to achieve with such tests as there will be
other workloads flowing over the fabric which will create random HOL
blocking which can result in packet loss.  Multicast workloads should be
tolerant of such loss.

Mike