[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] OFED 1.1-rc1 is available

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Thu Aug 10 14:28:04 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 16:59, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     James> Why don't you find it useful as an InfiniBand diagnosis
>     James> tool?
>
>     James> In the absence of IPoIB (and therefore ICMP pings), it can
>     James> be used to test connectivity.
>
> Sure, but AFAIK the ibping userspace app (which is required to use it
> anyway) has a server mode,

Yes that is accurate.

>  so you don't need the kernel module.
>   And
> I'm hard pressed to imagine a situation where the SM could bring a
> port up but ibping would show a problem.

I think it depends on the architecture and is true right now but not in
the (perhaps near term) future. In the current architectures (mthca,
ipath), perfquery accomplishes almost the same thing as ibping. I'm not
so sure that is the case for ehca.

I can envision component failures where something like this is useful.

> Putting some non-standard network server into the kernel just for some
> oddball debugging scenario doesn't seem worth it to me.

It may not be an oddball debugging scenario. One man's oddball is
perhaps another's elegant solution.

-- Hal