[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] drop mthca from svn?

Sean Hefty sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Aug 28 16:00:58 PDT 2006

>Well, what is an "OpenFabrics driver" anyway?  I'm interesting in
>writing Linux drivers to be honest.

It's often ignored, but OpenFabrics does include Windows.

My understanding is that the requirement for lower level components is that they
must be licensed using dual GPL / BSD.  This agreement was made by all members
of OpenFabrics.  I'm assuming that the companies who agreed to be members of OF
did so because joining provided some benefit, just as I'm assuming that
including the OF code with the kernel provides some benefit.

No, there's nothing that prevents someone from contributing code directly to
Linux or shipping code on their own.  A company just has to decide if that
provides a greater benefit than integrating with OF.

>I think that using git makes it much easier for the developers, since
>merges with the trunk and handled far better than with svn.  And in a
>way it's easier for testers also -- they can just merge the branches
>that they're interested in, without having to run some bleeding edge
>tree with everything under development thrown in (although -mm kernels
>exist for people that want to do that as well).

No disagreement here.