[openfabrics-ewg] Re: How to generate IBED releases using 1.0 branch

Sujal Das Sujal at Mellanox.com
Wed Mar 29 08:12:20 PST 2006

Communicating to open fabrics general - the proposal was for the nominated
chair, Shawn, to do so.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan O'Sullivan
To: Tziporet Koren
CC: Michael S. Tsirkin; Openfabrics-ewg at openib.org
Sent: Wed Mar 29 08:00:45 2006
Subject: [openfabrics-ewg] Re: How to generate IBED releases using 1.0
branch

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 16:54 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:

>      1. Any module that is already in the kernel will be taken from
>         the git tree that is targeted for 2.6.17

(http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/roland/infiniband.git;a=summa
ry)
>         This include the following: mthca, ipath (if I understand it
>         should be in soon), core (all modules), ipoib, srp
>      2. Kernel modules that are not in Linux kernel will be taken from
>         these directories:
>         iSER, SDP – from the trunk
>         RDS: from SilverStorm contrib directory (till they move it to
>         the trunk)

Sounds good to me.

>      1. All user space code will be taken from the 1.0 branch. I will
>         send all user space patches that are important for this
>         release. If it’s OK I can also check them in, or ask the
>         maintainers as agreed to do so.

I think the best thing to do is send patches, then commit to svn after
say a day's delay in case anyone objects.

>      1. MPI:
>         MVAPICH – tarball is provided by Mellanox

Why would we not want to build MVAPICH from SVN?

>         Open MPI – tarball is provided by Cisco

I'm reluctant to just use a tarball without any visibility into what's
happening in its development.  Can we at least have a pointer to where
the Open MPI development tree is, be it SVN or CVS or whatever?

> I think this module can help us to progress both OpenFabrics and IBED
> releases very well and also contribute for the stability of code that
> is going to Linux kernel.

Yep.

> BTW – when do we go public to OpenFabrics general list?

This should really have happened by now.  I'd like someone to put
together a draft announcement, circulate it here, and then send it to
openib-general once it's been whipped into shape.

	<b