[openfabrics-ewg] Some intitial test notes on RC5

Steffen Persvold sp at scali.com
Fri May 26 01:39:18 PDT 2006

Hi all,

I've also tested RC5, specifically on a rhel4 u2 x86_64 platform. Everything
was fine (I had all the pre-req RPMs installed), however when trying to install
32bit libraries and 64bit libraries at the same time, I get :

% rpm -i i386/libibverbs-1.0.3-0.i386.rpm
     file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ofed.conf from install of libibverbs-1.0.3-0
conflicts with file from package libibverbs-1.0.3-0

Might I suggest renaming them to 'ofed-lib.conf' and 'ofed-lib64.conf' or
something in that order?

The OpenFabrics IB stack solves something people in HPC have been wanting for
some time, running 32bit applications natively on 64bit machines (64bit
kernels). By allowing the i386 and x86_64 RPMs to co-exist it enables that (and
it actually works to, at least with Scali MPI Connect which is what I'm
testing).

_Or_ a possible better solution would be to compile both 32bit and 64bit
libraries in the same package on x86_64 (I guess the same applies to ppc64) ?

Kind regards,

Steffen Persvold
Technical Director Americas
tel. 508-281-7100 x401