[openfabrics-ewg] OFED backport procedure on Wiki

Hoang-Nam Nguyen HNGUYEN at de.ibm.com
Tue Oct 10 03:39:33 PDT 2006

Hi Ramachandra!
> Some time back you had mailed the OFED backport procedure. I thought
> it would be useful if it were available on the OFED Wiki.
> I have added it to the FAQ on the Wiki (with some formatting and typo
> fixes).
> Its available at
> https://openib.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=OFED+backport+procedure
Thanks for this! This is actually a todo of mine as I promised once
to Michael, but haven't found time to do. It looks good what you have
there.
Here is what I learned during my backports for ehca:
* For a kernel version 2.6.x there are many existing backports in
ofed dir SOURCES/openib-1.1/kernel-patches/backport/2.6.x. One can apply
them all before starting own backport. Another strategy is to try compiling
and applying appropriate patch. One might also look in other 2.6.y versions
to find existing patches, which reduces backport time much in some cases.
* Once the backport is finished, one needs to recreate openib-1.1.tgz
with the new patches copied into
SOURCES/openib-1.1/kernel-patches/backport/2.6.x
and rebuild openib-1.1-0.src.rpm. Then put it into SRPMS dir and run
install.sh in order to test it. Oh, one also needs to update build_env.sh
in order to support 2.6.x before running install.sh.

Do I need an account in order to make comments or write pages?
Thanks
Nam Nguyen