[openfabrics-ewg] Trac - Issue Tracking Wiki and Subversion integration

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Oct 10 06:16:42 PDT 2006

On 10/10/06 4:25 AM, "Eitan Zahavi" <eitan at mellanox.co.il> wrote:

> Following yesterday EWG meeting regarding DB etc, I have spent some time
> reading the Trac wiki.
> Seems like an interesting and useful technology.

We use Trac heavily in Open MPI ad its sub-projects.

> However, the main code stream does not provide cross reference between
> the bugs and subversion repository versions.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, so let me briefly explain how
we use Trac to manage Open MPI's bugs^h^h^h^hfeatures, milestones, and
history.

* Here's OMPI's Trac, if you want to see an example:
https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/

* The trac wiki markup applies to all aspects of what trac monitors:
  - svn commit messages
  - tickets
  - the wiki itself (e.g., milestone tracking)
  - reports

* The track wiki markup has various forms automatic intra-trac linking, such
as:
  - "r12345" automatically links to trac's annotated web page of SVN
revision 12345 (including the log message)
  - "#12345" automatically links to trac ticket 12345
  - Putting "refs #12345" in a SVN commit message automatically makes that
SVN commit message be entered as a comment on ticket 12345
  - Putting "fixes #12345" in a SVN commit message automatically makes that
SVN commit message be entered as a comment on ticket 12345 *and* closes
ticket 12345

* See https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/WikiFormatting for a full
description of the Trac wiki markup; scroll down to "Trac links" (about 2/3
of the way down the page) for a list of the intra-trac links that you can
use.

* We've also designed a few custom reports specific to How We Do Things in
OMPI (you can create/edit SQL reports at will).

* Trac monitors all SVN commits and can display them in nice multi-color
diffs, and annotates the SVN commit messages.  We frequently mail trac SVN
commit URLs around for reviews.

--> These features alone have been genuinely useful in OMPI development.  I
believe that we could be doing more more with trac's milestone tracking, but
we have not yet explored that portion of trac much (other than marking
milestones on tickets, using those for reports, etc.).

* We've only just recently started using the actual wiki in trac.  But it's
quite handy in all the usual wiki ways.

* The "timeline" functionality is also quite handy, especially with
around-the-globe development.  You can login in the morning and see what
others around the world were doing overnight.

* SVN commit messages can contain trac wiki markup.  We've found ourselves
making wiki-style commit messages.

These are my personal opinions and how the OMPI group currently uses;
everyone uses tools a bit differently.  Feel free to ask any specific
questions and I'll try to answer them.

> I did find some branch named xref that provides this capability.
> Am I correct about this?
> Do you know if this is used by anybody?
> Can you forward my interest to the team that uses Trac.
>
> Thanks
>
> Eitan

Jeff Squyres
Server Virtualization Business Unit