[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] OFED 1.1 - Official Release

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Oct 20 22:53:01 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 12:25 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> I am happy to announce that OFED 1.1 Official Release is now available.
>
> The release can be found under:
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/ofed/releases/
>
> And later today it will be on the OpenFabrics download page:  http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads.html.
>
> This release was done in a joint effort of the following companies:
> * Cisco
> * SilverStorm
> * Voltaire
> * QLogic
> * Intel
> * IBM
> * Mellanox Technologies
>
> I wish to thank all who contributed to the success of this release.

For those interested, I've made RHEL5 packages of this release available
on my web site in my signature (kernel, openib, openmpi, and mpitests
are done, missing is mvapich and ibutils).  There are a few differences
relative to the official OFED 1.1 release, those are noted below.

> Tziporet
>
> Release summary:
> ================
> The OFED software package is composed of several software modules intended for use on a computer
> cluster constructed as an InfiniBand network.
>
> OFED package contains the following components:
>   o   OpenFabrics core and ULPs:
>         - HCA drivers (mthca, ipath, ehca)
>         - core
>         - Upper Layer Protocols: IPoIB, SDP, SRP Initiator, iSER Host and uDAPL
>   o   OpenFabrics utilities:
>         - OpenSM: InfiniBand Subnet Manager
>         - Diagnostic tools
>         - Performance tests
>   o   MPI:
>         - OSU MPI stack supporting the InfiniBand interface

The OSU mvapich stack is not available at this time.

>         - Open MPI stack supporting the InfiniBand interface
>         - MPI benchmark tests (OSU BW/LAT, Intel MPI Benchmark, Presta)
>   o   Sources of all software modules (under conditions mentioned in the modules'
>       LICENSE files)
>   o   Documentation
>
> Notes:
> 1. SDP is in beta quality.
> 2. ehca driver is in technology preview state.
> 3. All other OFED components are of production quality.
>
> Supported Platforms and Operating Systems
>     CPU architectures:
>         * x86_64
>         * x86
>         * ia64
>         * ppc64
>
>     Linux Operating Systems:
>         - RedHat EL4 up3: 2.6.9-34.ELsmp
>         - RedHat EL4 up4: 2.6.9-42.ELsmp
>         - SLES9 SP3: 2.6.5-7.244-smp
>         - SLES10: 2.6.16.21-0.8-smp
>         - kernel.org: 2.6.17.x and 2.6.18.x

Currently, only the RHEL5 beta update packages are available.  RHEL4
packages will be available soon.

> HCAs Supported
> ==============
> Mellanox HCAs:
>         - InfiniHost
>         - InfiniHost III Ex (both modes: with memory and MemFree)
>         - InfiniHost III Lx
>         Both SDR and DDR mode of the InfiniHost III family are supported.
>
>         For official FW versions please see:
>         http://www.mellanox.com/support/firmware_table.php
>
> Qlogic HCAs:
>         - QHT6040 (PathScale InfiniPath HT-460)
>         - QHT6140 (PathScale InfiniPath HT-465)
>         - QLE6140 (PathScale InfiniPath PE-880)
>
> IBM HCAs:
>         - GX Dual-port 4x IB HCA
>         - GX Dual-port 12x IB HCA
>

> Switches Supported
> This release was tested with switches and gateways provided by the following companies:
>         - Cisco
>         - Voltaire
>         - SilverStorm
>         - Flextronics
>
> Third Party Packages
> ====================
> The following third party packages have been tested with OFED 1.1:
> 1. Intel MPI, Version 2.0.1 - refresh, and Version 3.0
> 2. HP MPI

Neither of these packages were tested with the Red Hat specific RPMs.

> OFED Sources:
> =============
> Source repositories:
> Kernel: git://www.mellanox.co.il/~git/infiniband ofed_1_1
> User:   https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/1.1/src/userspace

Source rpms are available along side the binary rpms.

> Main changed from OFED 1.0:
> ============================
> - Kernel code based on 2.6.18
> - High Availability in IPoIB and SRP (beta)

The ipoibha ability is not tested and known not to work until the
changes to arping are completed.  The SRP HA code is totally untested in
the RHEL5 packages and is shipped as it is found in the OFED 1.1
release.

> - RDS was removed for the OFED package (to be added in future releases)
> - IBM low level driver (ehca) was added
> - MPI:
>   - OSU MVAPICH: Message coalescing
>   - Open MPI: Version was updated to v1.1.1
>   - MPI tests: Updated to latest versions from LLNL, Intel and OSU
> - Management: Added utilities and enhanced tools
> - Full support for ppc64 libraries (32 and 64 bits)
>

> See the attached are the release notes for details

Of special note are the following differences between the OFED 1.1
release and the RHEL5 specific rpms:

- The ibutils package has not been rebuilt since the OFED 1.0 stack was
introduced into RHEL5 (compile problems not yet sorted out)
- The ipoibha facility, when ready, has it's own init script that
enables the service after the network interfaces are brought up
- The RHEL5 scripts make no attempt to create ifcfg-ib? network device
configuration files during installation, the user is responsible for
creating any network device configuration files they need
- Most configuration files are stored in /etc/ofed for ease in keeping
the files together and organized
- The openmpi rpms are designed to coexist with the lam rpms and any
other mpi rpms that might be made available on RHEL5 via use of the
alternatives service (man alternatives for more information)
- All of the various -devel packages support multilib installation where
you may select amongst the available arch options on multilib arches
(x86_64 supports x86_64/i386, ppc64 support ppc/ppc64, ia64 supports
ia64/i386)
- For mpi compilation with openmpi, you may use the system wide default
compiler as linked to /usr/bin/mpicc, or you may use a specific mode
compiler by using /usr/share/openmpi/bin{32,64}/mpicc as the program
file
- For users not familiar with the specifics of multilib installations on
FC6 and later Red Hat distributions, rpm is designed to install both the
x86_64 and i386 version of packages whenever multilib operation is
desired, and in the event that both an x86_64 and i386 binary conflict
between the two rpms, it will automatically install the best binary.
This means that, for example, installing all of the i386 and x86_64 rpms
(openmpi, openmpi-libs, and openmpi-devel) on an x86_64 machine will
result in the complete devel environment for both i386 and x86_64, the
complete set of libs for i386 and x86_64, and the x86_64 binaries
in /usr/bin.  Standard practice is to install both i386 and x86_64
versions of all packages that have a -devel subpackage.  Those packages
that don't have a -devel subpackage normally only have the preferred
arch installed.  For example, since libibverbs has a -devel package, the
standard setup would include both the i386/x86_64 libibverbs and
libibverbs-devel.  However, as libibverbs-utils has no devel component,
the default would be to only install the x86_64 version.  Normally this
would all be handled by anaconda during the install process, but should
anyone wish to test, knowing which packages to install to duplicate a
correct installation by anaconda will help to eliminate needless
confusion.  Preference is for x86_64 over i386 and ppc over ppc64 where
both exist and only one is needed.  It should be fine to install both
the i386 and x86_64 versions of *all* of the packages, but it may result
in a few spurious "file <blah> created as <blah.rpmnew>" messages.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at