[openfabrics-ewg] git question

Minich, Makia minich at ornl.gov
Fri Oct 27 06:11:13 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 14:38 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Quoting r. Minich, Makia <minich at ornl.gov>:
> > Subject: Re: git question
> >
> > On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 12:59 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote:
> > >  >       git clone -s --bare git://www.mellanox.co.il/~git/infiniband .git
> > >  >       git checkout ofed_1_1 `git-ls-tree -r --name-only ofed_1_1 \
> > >  >                    include/rdma include/scsi/srp.h drivers/infiniband \
> > >  >                    Documentation/infiniband ofed_scripts kernel_patches`
> > >  >       echo 'ref: refs/heads/ofed_1_1' > .git/HEAD
> > >
> > > This all looks more manual than it needs to be.  For example I would
> > > have thought the second two commands could just be "git checkout ofed_1_1"
> > >
> > > What git version are you running?
> > >
> > >  - R.
> >
> > I'm using git version 1.4.1.  All of those commands are based on what is
> > on the OFED development wiki (in the "how to build ofed" document).  I
> > figured that since I'm new to git, I'd just go ahead and follow the
> > directions (as opposed to how I normally work).  All I want is the
> > simplest and easiest way to get the IB source (not the entire 2.6.??
> > kernel source).  This used to be relatively simple, but if I'm
> > understanding correctly the only way to to this (and still be able to
> > sync up with development changes through git-fetch or pull or whatever)
> > is to clone the entire repo (i.e. all of the 2.6.?? kernel).  Is this
> > correct?
>
> Not sure what you mean here.
> Don't the commands above work for you?

The commands do work, but Roland mentioned that the lines looked "more
manual than it needs to be", so I was wondering if there actually is a
more condensed set of commands that could be used.  The part that
doesn't work for me (fundamentally) is that the ideas of pulling updates
and only keeping the OFED source (rather than the complete kernel tree)
are currently mutually exclusive under this git scheme.
--
Makia Minich <minich at ornl.gov>
National Center for Computation Science