[openfabrics-ewg] convention for git directories on the new git OFA server

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Oct 30 08:57:21 PST 2006

Quoting r. Roland Dreier <rdreier at cisco.com>:
> Subject: Re: convention for git directories on the new git OFA server
>
>  >    1. Development trees: each one will place the development tree under
>  >       his/her home:
>  >       ~<username>/scm/topic.git (e.g. ~mst/scm/sdp.git)
>  >    2. Stable/release trees: these trees will be located under /pub:
>  >       /pub/scm/<name>.git (e.g. /pub/scm/ofed-1.1.git)
>  >    3. All trees (development and stable) should be exposed via git web
>  >       interface.
>  >
>  > I think this methodology is similar to the way git trees are
>  > handled in Linux, and its also a simple convention that will make
>  > it easy to understand the type of each tree
>
> If you mean the way git trees are handled on kernel.org, that's not
> true.  There is only one class of git tree -- kernel.org happens to
> use /pub/scm but ~/scm/ is perfectly fine.

Yes, but:

Linus's tree is under
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
E.g. stable tree is under
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.18.y.gi

So I do see the analogy: development trees are under developer's name,
stable trees are under stable/version. No?

--
MST