[openfabrics-ewg] Where do contribute new stuff to OFED scripts?

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Fri Sep 15 08:00:40 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at cisco.com>:
> Review is certainly possible without sending patches around.  More
> specifically: e-mail is not the only way to conduct reviews (indeed, I'd
> maintain that e-mail is a very poor tool for it).

Seems to work fine for linux and the rest of openib stack, so we'll stick to it.

> > Having everyone checking in stuff without review by maintainer is wrong.
>
> What if I'm the maintainer?
>
> Also, you didn't answer my other questions.  For example: who would be the
> gatekeeper of the patches that are sent,

Vlad Sokolovsky vlad at mellanox.co.il has written these scripts so he's the
maintainer.

So far no one was interested in reviewing his code, so I did all review offline.
We'll ceraintly be glad to get some help here.

> and where would they be stored
> until the next release branch is created?  (perhaps on the trunk?  Hmm!)

First thing after release Vlad  plans tosplit scripts for
kernel and userspace code. Kernel stuff will stay in git close
to kernel code, userspace in svn trunk with userspace.

> I'm trying to say that our current OFED SVN usage does not:
>
> A) use SVN to its potential
> B) allow for non-release development
> C) provide controlled drops from development (OFED releases *are* active
> development, which just seems weird)

As I see it, in distributed environment such as ours ideally there would be
topic branches for development and branches can get merged when ready.  SVN does
not easily support it - frequent merging there is quite painful. Hopefully we'll
just switch to git for userspace too.

--
MST