[openfabrics-ewg] On vacation on Sep-13 till 12-Oct

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Sep 17 02:37:23 PDT 2006

Quoting r. Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at cisco.com>:
> > Exactly. Using this way we enable OFED RPMs building without affecting the
> > running environment.
>
> Has a chrooted environment been considered?

Sigh. Of course. There are people that do not want to build as root, however,
and chroot currently needs root permissions.

> I understand the desire to have a build machine whose actual system isn't
> touched by the OFED build, but it seems odd that we have to jump through
> hoops to do what should be a trivial task (linking to dependent libraries).

Good to see someone's trying to solve this cleanly - what we did is clearly
just a work-around, and is relatively fragile wrt library dependency changes.

> Case in point: I've gone back and forth with one of the GNU Libtool
> maintainers for a few months to try to figure out a way to build Open MPI in
> this "fake" tree where all the rpath information for OMPI's executables
> won't be incorrect in the actual installation tree.  We haven't had success
> yet, but are meeting tomorrow to try again...

Well, I'm not sure why do you have the problem - it's pribably just a matter
of figuring out the right -rpath directives and forcing libtool to use that.

--
MST