[ewg] Re: SRP HA dm_multipath testing and questions

Ishai Rabinovitz ishai at dev.mellanox.co.il
Sun Apr 15 00:09:53 PDT 2007

Chieng Etta wrote:
> Hi Moiz,
>
> I tested "adding new storage" on both OFED 1.2-beta1 and OFED 1.2-rc1.
> I used srp_daemon.sh to discover and add new storage automatically.
>
> On OFED 1.2-beta1, the default "retries" value at srp_daemon.sh was set to
> 300 seconds and I changed it to 60 seconds. The initiator discovered the new
> target right away, but it took a few minutes to add the new target and new
> path.
>
> On OFED 1.2-rc1, I changed the "retries" value at srp_daemon.sh to 30
> seconds.  The initiator discovered the new target, added target and added
> path within 30 seconds.
>
> Thanks,
> Etta

Etta,

I guess you mean "Rescan time" and not "retries".

In any case The "Rescan time" should not effect the time it takes to add the new target. Srp_daemon registers to get traps notices, so it knows when a new machine joins the fabric and it can check if it is a target. So the discovery of the new new target should be immediate on any "Rescan time" value.

The "Rescan time" option is just to be on the safe side in case of rare race conditions.

If someone finds out a test that causes srp_daemon to consistently discover a target too late (only on the Rescan) please report it.

Ishai