[openfabrics-ewg] ipath backport status

Betsy Zeller betsy at pathscale.com
Mon Feb 12 18:14:11 PST 2007

I have a couple of comments on the process by which EWG ended up
deciding to change the backport patch process to use the kernel_addons
mechanism, which was a fairly substantial change in how we handle
backport patches. Amongst other things, it has added several days to
Bryan's delivery of ipath backport patches, and has resulted in
InfiniPath code essentially missing the first 1.2 Alpha.

 A quick examination of the Wiki, and of the email archives indicates
that the proposal to switch to the kernel_addons mechanism was sent to
openfabrics-general on Dec 11, where it mostly seems to have gotten lost
in the noise.  After a couple of comments back, it was documented on the
wiki (on Dec 13) as our new process, with the only notification being a
short note from Tziporet which didn't reference backport patches.

Discussion on the change never went through the EWG mailing list.

Changes in development processes which affect OFED really need to be
discussed on the EWG mailing list, not (just) on openfabrics-general.
The same is true for issues such as build failures, which I found out
two weeks ago were only being sent to openfabrics-general.

The EWG mailing list is the right place for development process changes,
and for information such as OFED build failures. Can we agree to use the
EWG list for these things in the future?

Regards, Betsy