[openfabrics-ewg] OFED 1.1 tar ball

Pradeep Satyanarayana pradeep at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 11 11:16:08 PST 2007

Tziporet Koren <tziporet at dev.mellanox.co.il> wrote on 01/11/2007 02:31:04
AM:

> Pradeep Satyanarayana wrote:
> >

> > I look at the OFED sources only on occassions. Recently I downloaded
> > the OFED-1.1.tgz  from the openfabrics website. Basically I only
> > wanted to look at some sources in this tar ball (and not build). After

> > I uncompressed and expanded this tar ball I found another tar ball
> > openib-1.1.tgz underneath the SOURCES/ directory. I expanded this tar
> > ball to look at the source files. I then started to look at the
> > sources and this was at odds to what I expected.
> >
> > I learnt that I had to run the openib-1.1/configure script to update
> > the sources with all the patches. I believe this is counter-intuitive.

> > My understanding is that one needs to run the configure script to
> > generate the Makefiles and set the appropriate environment in order to

> > build. The openib-1.1.tgz  should have had all the patches applied and

> > there should be no need to run configure to look at the updated
sources.

> You are correct - patches of OFED are applied by the configure script.
> The main reason for this is that we need to apply backport patches
> according to a specific OS.

Ok, I now understand the rationale for doing it that way. You bring up an
interesting point. However, having to run the configure script is
non-intuitive. Of the several ideas that I can think of, I believe your
idea
(below) of a new script is the best; that way it will be minimally
disruptive to the
current process followed to create the distribution itself.

> Do you think it will help if we will create a new script that only apply

> the patches?

Yes, that would definitely be a good start. Having a script named
appropriately
(something along the lines of update_sources) that does apply the specific
patches would
be helpful. Also the same script can be invoked from configure.
Additionally, this
needs to be well documented in the README.txt file so that someone else
does not run into
the same caveats in the future. Thanks for your help with this!

> Tziporet

Pradeep
pradeep at us.ibm.com