[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] Reminder: OFED 1.2

Jeff Squyres jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Jan 16 10:34:30 PST 2007

FWIW, having git's for the MPI implementations was asked for on the
call yesterday (by Tziporet, IIRC?).  The rationale, as I understood
it, was threefold:

1. Putting the MPI release in git provides a level of OFED-specific
history and version control.  This was explicitly stated on the call
yesterday.

2. MPI's have concrete "releases" to OFED just like all other ULP's,
especially if there is any OFED-specific packaging involved in the
MPI's release.  This was not stated on the call, but it makes sense
to me.

3. Putting everything in git makes it nicely uniform for OFED to be
assembled.  This was not stated on the call, and I'm sure it's not a
requirement, but it is a little nice to be uniform when assembling
OFED (my $0.02).

4. We used to put the MPI releases in SVN (tarball or SRPM) for prior
OFED release processes, so putting them in a git seems to parallel
that procedure.

I don't really care one way or another; this was just my
understanding of why it was requested.