[openfabrics-ewg] [openib-general] OFED 1.2 release - to be reviewed in the meeting today

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Jan 29 08:46:24 PST 2007

> Quoting Hoang-Nam Nguyen <HNGUYEN at de.ibm.com>:
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] OFED 1.2 release - to be reviewed in the meeting today
>
> > > This looks pretty similar to ofed-1.1/SVN release procedure. What about
> > > discussed idea of "per package release by maintainers"?
> >
> > I guess there's no conflict: maintainers can make ofed_1_2 point to
> > their release. But I agree we need maintainers' buy-in and commitment to schedule
> > that matches OFED release schedule.
>
> Can you explain me what "per package release by maintainers" means for me?

This really has to do with package versioning, not branching/tagging.
Basically this boils down to the agreement that maintainers create a release
of their package that matches code in OFED, taking care of library versioning
(that is, assigning a version number to this package).

Then
1. OFED versions the packages according to what maintainers do.
2. Properly versioned packages are available separately for other distributions.

You can look at how libibverbs is versionned to get the idea.

--
MST