[openfabrics-ewg] problems with iSER for open-iscsi on SLES 10 sp1 beta 2

Erez Zilber erezz at voltaire.com
Wed Jan 31 04:03:07 PST 2007

I'm adding openfabrics-ewg to this thread.

Moiz Kohari wrote:
> Adding Matthias to this thread.

> <hare at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> Erez Zilber wrote:
>>
>>> Moiz, Alex, Hannes,
>>>
>>> I've just installed sp1 beta 2 (kernel version is 2.6.16.37-0.9). Here's
>>> the contents of /etc/SuSE-release:
>>> sage:~ # cat /etc/SuSE-release
>>> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (x86_64)
>>> VERSION = 10
>>> PATCHLEVEL = 1
>>>
>>> However, iSER is not here:
>>>
>>> sage:~ # ll /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/infiniband/ulp
>>> total 8
>>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 30 16:06 ipoib
>>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 30 16:06 srp
>>>
>>> Is it the same problem that we saw in SLERT? Will you be able to fix it
>>> before releasing sp1? I guess that the patch that I gave you for SLERT
>>> should do the work also here.
>>>

>> Don't know. Maybe you should add a bugzilla for that ...
>>

>>> Another problem that I see is that open-iscsi's API has changed
>>> (compared to SLES 10). It means that if iSER is installed from OFED 1.1
>>> with its backport patches for SLES 10, it will not compile. The solution
>>> is to take iSER from OFED 1.1 without the backport patches. Maybe we
>>> should add a case to OFED's build script. Again, the problem is how to
>>> determine that this is SLES 10 sp1 just from the kernel name. Please
>>> advise about that.

There's no case in ofed_scripts/configure for SLES 10 sp1:

2.6.16*)
if (grep "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10" /etc/issue > /dev/null 2>&1);
then
printf "\nApplying patches for ${KVERSION} kernel (SLES 10):\n"
if [ -d ${CWD}/kernel_patches/backport/2.6.16_sles10 ]; then
for patch in ${CWD}/kernel_patches/backport/2.6.16_sles10/*
do
if [ -e ${patch} ]; then
printf "\t${patch}\n"
if [ "${WITH_QUILT}" == "yes" ]; then
ex $QUILT import ${patch}
ex $QUILT push patches/${patch##*/}
else
if ! (patch -p1 -l < ${patch} ); then
echo "Failed to apply patch: ${patch}"
exit 1
fi
fi
fi
done
fi
else
printf "\nApplying patches for ${KVERSION} kernel:\n"
if [ -d ${CWD}/kernel_patches/backport/2.6.16 ]; then

This is not surprising because sp1 did not exist when OFED 1.1 was
released. I guess that Novell changed this script so that sp1 will use
the same backport patches that SLES 10 GA used. This is incorrect. The
problem is that open-iscsi's interface has changed in sp1. I think that
we need to add another backport dir for SLES 10 sp1
(kernel_patches/backport/2.6.16_sles10_sp1). All I know about the
contents of this dir is that the iSER patches should not be there. Let's
agree on what should be done and add the required patches and
explanation to the OFED support page in openfabrics's wiki.

Erez

>> Yeah, I've backported the current open-iscsi svn tree for SLES10 SP1.
>> Too many bugs to have them all backported individually.
>> To check for SP1 vs. GA:
>> Just check whether a directory /etc/iscsi exists. If not you're on
>> SLES10 GA, otherwise it's SLES10 SP1.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Hannes

Erez Zilber | 972-9-971-7689