[ewg] Re: RFC OFED-1.3 installation

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Tue Jul 17 16:09:27 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 23:27 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > So you need to be able to
> > tell the difference between a customer running libibverbs-1.0.4 from
> > OFED-1.3-beta1 and libibverbs-1.0.4 from OFED-1.3 final.
>
> I don't really think we want customers to run beta code, or intend to support
> such configurations.

It's not so much whether you want them to or not.  If you make it
available, some of them *will* run it.  Not necessarily in production,
but still run it none the less.  You need to be able to tell the
difference.  And they need to be able to tell the difference.  What if
they installed it to test and provide feedback to you, but then because
the version numbers weren't distinct, and they forgot just which
machines they put it in, *they* no longer knew which was the beta/rc
code or the final release?

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194