[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Arthur Jones arthur.jones at qlogic.com
Tue Jul 24 07:53:35 PDT 2007

hi michael, ...

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:03:41AM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> [...]
> But I also see a serious problem with addressing: basically
> git tracks content. It's not designed to track a bush
> of branches taken together.  For example, take tagging:
> tag namespace is global, so you can not have the same
> tag point at multiple branches at the same time.

agreed.  however, the way we use git, with the
location of the git DB as the "tag", it's not
really a problem in practice.  but tagging each
branch separately is indeed a PITA...

> >anyway, what do you think?  is there anyway i could
> >convince you to dump the backport patches and put
> >all the backports in branches?  i'm willing to do the
> >legwork if you see value...
>
> Can you publish the scripts and/or the tree?
> I think we can start by just running the scripts nightly,
> making it possible for people to view backport history
> with gitview.

i've attached the script that i'm using to compare
the trees, but it's a total hack.  it doesn't keep
the patch history.  that would not be too hard to
do i guess -- if there's interest...

to run the script:

<cp attached files here...>
$ git clone git://git.openfabrics.org/~mst/ofed_kernel.git ofed_kernel
$ cd ofed_kernel
$ for b in `cat ../ofed-backports.txt`; do ../create-backport.sh $b; done

now you'll have a bunch of backport-2.6.xxx branches...

arthur