[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Jul 24 08:53:48 PDT 2007

> Quoting Arthur Jones <arthur.jones at qlogic.com>:
> Subject: Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits
>
> hi michael, ...
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 06:32:28PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > [...]
> > >
> > > how is this a problem?  the way i use git,
> > > i use a script to "reflow" the changes into
> > > the dependent branches.  over the last few
> > > months, anyway, it has worked fine...
> >
> > Precisely because no one developed on these branches,
> > so you are re-generating themfrom patches - not a problem,
> > but as you point out not too useful either.
>
> well, no, i _have_ been doing development on the
> local branches in our internal repo.  i also
> merge in changes that you make to the ofed repo
> to our internal backport branches.  the script
> i posted is just so that i can more easily compare
> our internal branches to the ofed backport "branches".

How do you do the merging?

> > If people start developing on these branches, then
> > eventually you will need to merge them - and git only merges
> > them one at a time.
>
> yes, i have to merge them one at a time.  i
> still don't see how this is a problem.  backport
> changes can be pulled in and the changes from
> upstream can be merged in as well.  i haven't
> had a problem with this so far.  can you be more
> specific about what you expect will fail?

Well, as distro maintainers we need to merge a lot, from different
people. We'll have to write all kind of scripts to do it instead of
a plain git pull.

And, I expect almost all git operations will have to be wrapped
in a script in some way, to operate on a bush of branches.

--
MST