[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Arthur Jones arthur.jones at qlogic.com
Tue Jul 24 10:07:26 PDT 2007

hi michael, ...

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 07:55:50PM +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> [...]
> > what is it about patches that are less evil
> > than changesets?  can you list some of the
> > advantages?
>
> changesets *do not exist* in git - git tracks content.
>
> I compare "multiple directories with patches" with the "bush of branches".
> With bush of branches:
> git pull broken, git archive broken, git tag broken, git reset broken.
> It looks like the list can be continued.

none of these things are broken, they are just
used differently.  despite your apprehension, i'd
like to see a list of the _advantages_ of multiple
directories with patches -- perhaps with this list
in hand we can see how they stack up...

> Yes, we can start building our own tools on top of git to do this,
> but I'd rather not.

i'd hardly call a 4 line script a "tool".  compare
it to the ./ofed_scripts/configure script which is
no longer necessary with backport branches.  i think
the complexity argument doesn't take you too far...

i realize that you're attached to your current method,
but i've _used_ a different method, and i can say from
experience that it works _much_ better...

at sonoma, i heard quite a few people asking for easier
access to the OFED source.  from the user's point of view,
pulling a single branch from a repo is _much_ simpler
than our current setup, don't you think?

arthur