[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Tue Jul 24 11:13:08 PDT 2007

> Here's a short list off the top of my head
>
> - A single git pull merges any number of backport changes
> - A single git reset ORIG_HEAD recovers from a conflicting merge
> - A single tag tags all code for all kernels
> - On update from upstream, if there is a conflict
>   between upstream code and and a patch
>   it's easy to temporarily remote the patch, complete the merge,
>   and go bugger the patch author
> - For recent kernels there are almost no patches.
>   So an update from upstream for these kernels is free,
>   with branches I will still need to update all branches.
> - Adding a fix which only affects common code
>   is currently straight-forward: make a change, commit.
>   With multiple branches every fix must be pulled into
>   all branches.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that you already require a script to
check that things work for all kernels.  Until you apply a series of
patches to form a particular kernel, you don't know if a change that you
pulled in caused a conflict.  You still have the requirement to verify
the fix on all kernels, and it still requires running a script that
pushes/pops patches to create each tree.