[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] ANNOUNCE ofed backports for 2.6.22 kernel bits

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Wed Jul 25 00:27:23 PDT 2007

> > - A single git reset ORIG_HEAD recovers from a conflicting merge
>
> handling conflicts is a big part of a maintainer's job!

Because you are a driver maintainer.
That's what's different here from regular merge.
Please understand: we have upstream code and we have changes against it.

Upstream code is golden. If some patch conflicts with it,
it is always this patch that needs to be fixed.
And I want to ability to bounce that job to patch author -
I simply do not know enough about e.g. ehca.

> also, if the upstream
> changes touch code that conflicts with a backport
> patch, you get to fix the problem as it happens

That's exactly the thing that I do not want to do.

--
MST