[ewg] Toward next OFED release (1.3)

Tziporet Koren tziporet at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jun 26 07:27:21 PDT 2007

Hi All,

On next Monday we will have the first meeting to close OFED 1.3 features
and schedule.
As a preparation I send here the list of features we already reviewed in
Sonoma, and other features I see in progress on the general list
discussions.
I know this is a long mail :-( but I ask each of the
maintainers/customers to review this list and send comments and other
requests.

There are some ULPs that I placed "?" and the owner should review and
reply with the plans.

Thanks,
Tziporet

Main New Features
==============
Base kernel: 2.6.23 (we will start with 2.6.22 but will move to 2.6.23)
Install:
*	Minimize integration effort into OS distribution
*	Break the packages RPMs (work with Novell and Redhat)

Package:
*	Sources arrangement for the end user (for the labs)
*	Reduce compilation warnings

QoS:
*	OSM
*	CM & CMA
*	ULPs: SDP, SRP, IPoIB, RDS?

Core:
*	Updated SA cache
*	User space events registration
*	Preparations for IB routers

libibverbs:
*	New verbs:
*	Scalable Reliable Connected Transport (with Mellanox ConnectX)
*	Shared Send Queue
*	Reliable Multicast ?

Management:
*	Multiple partitions
*	OpenSM
*	More routing performance improvements
*	Even more speedups
*	Better packaging/installation
"Native" daemon mode
*	Performance management
*	Quality of Service manager: Based on IBTA annex
*	More diagnostics - Hal please update

ULPs:
*	IPoIB: NAPI; CM in GA; Bonding in GA
*	NFS over RDMA integration
*	RDS: RDMA API (using FMRs); GA quality with Oracle 11
*	SDP: Keepalive; Asynch IO (Zero Copy)
*	SRP: HA in GA
*	VNIC: ? Qlogic - please update
*	iSER: ? Voltaire - please update
*	uDAPL - ? Arlin please update

iWARP: (Steve please update if needed)
*	iwarp-specific verbs
*	iwarp-specific async events
*	API for MPA options (CRC/Markers)
*	API for streaming mode IO (needed for compliant iSER)
*	Possibly other ULPs (RDS, SDP, iSER)

MPIs:
Integrate the new MPI releases that are on time for OFED 1.3
*	Jeff - please update about Open MPI
*	DK: Please update regarding MVAPICH and MVAPICH2

OFED 1.3 System Matrix
*	CPU Arch: X86, x86_64, PPC64, ia64
*	kernel.org: kernel 2.6.23
*	Novell: SLES 10; SLES 10 SP1
*	Redhat: RHEL 4 (up4 and up5); RHEL 5 (can we drop RHEL4up4 since
up6 will probably be out till this release is out?)
*	Free distros (Fedora, SuSE Pro, Ubuntu) - basic testing only

Tziporet Koren
Software Director
Mellanox Technologies
mailto: tziporet at mellanox.co.il