[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] OFED 1.2 Feb-26 meeting summary

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sun Mar 18 08:42:45 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 13:51 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > >That's a good point, although not entirely correct. AFAIK OFED  installer
> > >currently attempts to detect and warn about conflicting libraries,  this
> > >logic probably can be improved.
> >

> > Quoting Jeff Squyres <jsquyres at cisco.com>:
> > Subject: Re: [ofa-general] OFED 1.2 Feb-26 meeting summary
> >
> > That seems like chasing our tail: adding more logic/work to replicate
> > a mechanism that is already available (*and* making sure that we keep
> > this logic up-to-date with all the OFED distributions out there --
> > which seems like a losing proposition).  RPM can detect this kind of
> > conflict and prevent it.  Why aren't we using it?
> >
> > Oh, right, because we're doing several kinds of non-standard things
> > that preclude us from doing so.  :-)
>
> Right. But the user *can* the prefix to /usr, and RPM will detect conflicts
> then, isn't that right?

This is a joke, right?  You can't *really* be serious.  If you are, then
I suggest the EWG change the acronym for OFED to Open Fabrics
Experimental Distribution because no enterprise customer I know of would
accept the above suggestion that they change the spec file and recompile
just to get RPM to do its job as reasonable for an enterprise software
package.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194