[ewg] Re: OFED install issues

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 08:13:05 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 16:31 +0200, Tziporet Koren wrote:
> Hi All,
> There was a long discussion regarding the OFED installation process.
> There were several issues raised:
> 1. Prefix and the distro default:
> My suggestion is that we will change the default of the install
> according to the distro that is used.
>      1. For Redhat the default will be /usr
>      2. For SLES I don't know what should be the default - Moiz can
>         you send me a contact person that will educate us on SLES
>         preferred prefix.
>      3. Debian - Roland do you know what should be the default

The prefix is pretty much determined by LFHS and LSB compliance.  The
distro doesn't really matter much unless the distro simply has no
interest in being compliant with these standards.  That being said, it's
pretty much /usr for all of us.  The only possible exception is the MPI
stacks, but if they want to go into /opt, they need to register with
LANNA for that.

> In case someone wish to stay with another prefix (or change it back
> to /usr/local/ofed) it can be easily done during installation:
>       * In an interactive installation there is a specific question:
>         "Please enter the OFED installation directory
>         [/usr/local/ofed]: "
>       * In a non-attended installation only need to change this line
>         in the conf file: STACK_PREFIX=/usr/local/ofed
> Please reply if this is OK and we will do this change this week. In
> this way we will have enough time to test it before RC1. (Note that in
> Mellanox we always test both /usr/local/ofed and /usr/local prefixes)
>
> 2. SPEC files -
> Change this now is too risky for 1.2 - I suggest we do it immediately
> after OFED 1.2 so we have enough time to stabilize this change.
> In any case we may want to have a teleconference to define what we
> want.
> Also if anyone want to "raise the glove" - change and test the build &
> install scripts and send patches it will be great

I would suggest the spec file/install changes go hand in hand.  Besides,
I've done them twice now already, so it's pretty easy for me to do.

/me raises hand

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194