[ewg] Re: Compiler warnings in backport patches

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Mar 26 01:58:04 PDT 2007

> Quoting Tziporet Koren <tziporet at mellanox.co.il>:
> Subject: RE: Compiler warnings in backport patches
>
> Hi Bryan,
>
> Do you wish to do this work?
> Is there any one else wish to do it?

Note: since kernel.org code is not free from warnings, and kernel.org
maintainers have at this point an explicit opinion that these sould *not* be
worked around by complicating code, it is not practical to make OFED code
completely free from warnings, either.

I think the number of warnings added by backport patches can be reduced, however
when I tried doing this, this came at cost of making backport patches much bigger
and thus more fragile. Clearly this approach would not be worth it.

I'll be happy to consider patches that reduce the number of warnings without
making backports more fragile.

--
MST