[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] Feedback on Developer's Summit

Dror Goldenberg gdror at dev.mellanox.co.il
Mon Nov 5 14:26:16 PST 2007

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On 11/5/07, *Roland Dreier* <rdreier at cisco.com
> <mailto:rdreier at cisco.com>> wrote:
>
>     > 11-12: SA cache session
>     > 12-1: IPoIB stateless offload issues
>
>     > Sean, Roland, Dror - can you make it?
>
>     I guess I can make it but what are the stateless offload issues?  If
>     we want to spend an hour on it I think we need to figure out what if
>     anything we're stuck on -- at this point I don't know of any major
>     problems that need face-to-face time.
>

> As I said earlier on this thread,  the open issues I see with the
> stateless offload series are (A) the non interoperable checksum
> offload patch based on the IB ICRC sent by Michael (and if it is
> inter-operable, I'd like to be educated how) (B) LRO - a pure SW
> optimization, why it need to be in the ipoib driver and not at least
> shared with the network stack code above ipoib.
>
> If Dror can't present and address these issues, maybe we can't have
> this session on this f2f - Dror?
I can.

a) it's an option that is turned off by default and people that are
willing to take the risk can turn it on and get better performance
b) indeed we will need to make it work with the kernel lso, no need to
have something specific for ipoib

Anyway, I am planning to present those things during the IPoIB SO talk.
Wouldn't this be good enough ?