[ewg] OFED October 22 meeting summary on OFED 1.3 alpha status and beta tasks

Tziporet Koren tziporet at mellanox.co.il
Tue Oct 23 07:45:38 PDT 2007

OFED October 8 meeting summary on OFED 1.3 alpha status and beta tasks:

Meeting summary:
================
1. Alpha release status:
* Cisco - tested only RHEL 4 & 5 on x86_64 systems
* Qlogic - in general looks good
* Intel - test Intel MPI on 16 nodes cluster on RHEL 5.1
* Voltaire - partial regression SLES10 SP1 Redhat 5; few on RHEL 4 up5
* Mellanox - regression tests pass on all HCAs. Tested SLES10, RHEL 4 up
4 & up5 , RHEL 5
* IBM - test mainly SLES10 SP1 on PPC; solve issues in ehca with their
new HCA;
        see issues with 32 bits library

2. MPI status:
* MVAPICH - We wish to integrate the 1.0 code by the end of this week.
In this way it will be ready for the OFED beta release next week - need
DK approval
* Open MPI - Open MPI v1.2.4 is sufficient for OFED 1.3. It contains a
critical fix for ConnectX hardware that will greatly improve the
point-to-point latency for small messages.
Open MPI v1.3 is far enough away that we're not ready for anything newer
to go into OFED 1.3.
* VMAPICH 2 - ready for the release.

3. Tasks that should completed for the beta:
	1. Integrate all SDP features - Jim (Mellanox) - will be
completed this week
	2. Complete RDS work - Vlad (Mellanox) - on work
	3. Apply patches that fix warning of backport patches - Vlad
(Mellanox)
	4. Fix compilation problems on PPC with 32 bits - Vlad
(Mellanox) -
         Nam please open a bug on this issue
	5. Add qperf test from Qlogic - Johann (Qlogic) - on work
	6. Rebase kernel code on 2.6.24 rc1 (depending it's
availability)
  	   Will require changes in the bonding module too.
	7. Support RHEL 5 up1 - Woody & Vlad - done
	8. SPEC files should be part of each user space package - each
owner should take the spec file
	9. Multiple uDAPL libs (1.0 & 2.0)
     10. iSER - update the open iscsi package
     11. nes - need to update some backport patches (Gleb)

* Beta target date will be decided in next week meeting based on the
progress of the above

4. OFED meetings:
* Starting next week we will move to weekly meetings to have a better
tracking for the release progress
* Jeff S. will send the meeting schedule and details

5. NFS-RDMA:
* NFS-RDMA will be part of Linux kernel 2.6.24
* Thus it will be in OFED 1.3 kernel, but we need backport patches to
support the distros
* Bill Boas will speak to OGC (Tom Tucker and Steve Wise) to see if this
can be done for the beta, at least for the latest OSes (e.g. RHEL5,
SLES10 SP1)

6. Developers' summit:
* All people requested to review the agenda Johann will publish and make
sure all subjects we wish to discuss are covered.