[ewg] to be discussed at the developer conference

Or Gerlitz ogerlitz at voltaire.com
Mon Oct 29 06:29:07 PDT 2007

(Assuming that the allocation of slots within the schedule to have
enough time for Linux IB developers to discuss what ever they decide
they need to would be taken care of) I'd like to check with people what
we want to be on the agenda of these slots. My thinking for issues to
discuss was:

1) the long time and endless threads related to the SA caching thing
need to be there. Sean - I saw that you prepare a session, correct? will
you presenting few possible designs?

2) as for IPoIB stateless offload - with Eli and Liran not planned to be
there. Dror - do you intend to actually present the actual ipoib / core
/ drivers related design and implementation? Also, personally, I felt
that the 1-2 slides you delivered on Sonoma where way below what would
let one understand in what features exactly the HW supports, and I don't
want to be referred to under-NDA docs, lets just have you provide a
clear description regarding large-send and checksum offloading. Same for
the HW interrupt mitigation, can be nice if you explain the problem, the
solution and spare few words how does this goes with NAPI. One more
thing is the LRO staff - its a pure SW optimization, if you think this
should be in the ipoib code, some justification materials can be helpful.

3) QoS - Sean, Dror, generally speaking, what where you thinking to
discuss?

4) IPoIB connected mode UC support - Roland, can work on this start once
the no-SRQ design/code is agreed and committed to a branch at your git?
In previous discussions with Michael over this list he insisted that
some "keep alive" probing mechanism must be implemented since the arp
probes sent by the kernel neighboring subsystem are not enough the cover
all cases and he suggested to use IB CM LAP messages etc for that. What
are the open issues you can think on here? would you be able to present
this?

5) IB 4K MTU - in IPoIB and elsewhere in the IB stack, same here,
Roland, do you think a short session is needed or your comments, eg
http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/13/308 & http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/14/173
cover everything that need to be done? is there something to change at
layers below IPoIB, what about SM implementations - does anyone see
there possible required changes?

6) the netdev network batching RFCs - Krishna, Shirley, will someone
from IBM can prepare a session to educate us on the matter and the status?

any more ideas?

Or.