[ofa-general] Re: [ewg] OFED March 24 meeting summary on OFED 1.4 plans

Hal Rosenstock hrosenstock at xsigo.com
Thu Apr 3 08:02:10 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 14:53 +0000, Tang, Changqing wrote:
> One other thing I hope to talk is some fabric query functionalities for normal user,
> not only just for root. This is at IB verbs level, not rdma_cm level.
>
> for example, in MPI, process A know the HCA guid on another node. After running for
> some time, the switch is restarted for some reason, and the whole fabric is re-configured.
>
> Now process A wants to know if the port lid on another node has changed or not, it knows
> the HCA guid,  is there any function to query this ?

> I know as root, we can use the mad/umad library to do this kind of query, I want to do
> such query in MPI, which is a normal user.

In the IB arch, there are SA registrations and queries for the specific
example you used. However, these are not directly exposed to Linux user
space directly (for the normal user as opposed to MAD user (note there
are some difficulties in making this available to the normal user)) (at
least not yet AFAIK). While these are not (direct) fabric query (really
SA query), they serve the same function in a different way.

-- Hal