[ewg] Re: [ofa-general] resolve conflict between OFED 1.3 and 2.6.18 with ISCSI

Mon Apr 14 07:36:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 16:50 +0300, Erez Zilber wrote:

> I'm not sure if there's a real demand for this transport for OFED users,
> is there?

Maybe I'm not seeing the bigger picture but it seems pretty orthogonal
to me.  Does using OFED 1.3 preclude using a qla4xxx host adapter?  IOW,
is there anything inherent in using OFED 1.3 as the networking fabric on
a (say) storage server that uses a QLogic ISP4XXX adapter to access it's
storage?

> Adding qla4xxx will require backport patches for all supported
> distros, and we don't have the HW to test it.

Yeah, the old conundrum.

> Therefore, unless it's
> really important for enough OFED users, I don't think that we should add it.

Well, given the alternative that it's completely unbuildable in the
kernel when you choose OFED's iscsi options, is including the qla4xxx in
the OFED distribution, even untested so bad?

> BTW - I don't mind if other people add the required code to OFED 1.4 for
> qla4xxx support.

~sigh~  Yeah.

I wonder how many (if any) of our userbase we are going to upset if we
cease providing the qla4xxx driver in our kernels.  On the other hand, I
wonder how many we'd upset by not providing iSER and the newer
open-iscsi modules.

b.