[ewg] ofed-1.3-rc4: openibd restart issue on ppc64

Hoang-Nam Nguyen hnguyen at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Feb 8 04:35:14 PST 2008

Hello Vlad!
Tested ofed-1.3-rc4 on ppc64 and saw the message below after I had called
/etc/init.d/openibd restart:

xyz:~ # /etc/init.d/openibd restart

Unloading firmware_class                                   [FAILED]
ERROR: Module firmware_class is in use by ipr

In openibd I saw this def:
UNLOAD_MODULES="ib_mthca mlx4_enet mlx4_ib mlx4_core ib_ipath ipath_core ib_ehca iw_cxgb3 cxgb3 firmware_class"

That means the script tried to unload firmware_class, which is still in use by
ipr (SCSI driver) in my case, and therefore failed. Is there a reason to
unload that base module fimrware_class here? In RC3 and earlier RCs I didn't
see that.

Regards
Nam