[ewg] practical question about the hosting server

Glenn Streiff gstreiff at NetEffect.com
Sat Jan 26 20:03:51 PST 2008

> From: Steve Wise
>
> Glenn Streiff wrote:
> > Hi, folks.
> >
> > So is resource contention an issue on the hosting server?
> >
> > I'm new to the effort so just wanted to understand the practical
> > limits to working concurrently on that system.  I jumped on there
> > Friday and someone kicked off what looked like a normal build job
> > and things got pretty sluggish for me.
> >
> > So I came in "early" (4:00am CT) hoping to get some cycles and did
> > for a time then it looked like Vlad's build cron jobs
> kicked in and I'm
> > in the ditch again.  Unable to do a 'git log' on my local
> repository.
> >
> > Any practical advice is appreciated.  Curious if my experience is
> > typical or not.
> >

> I already suggested they up the memory on the system, but nothing has
> happened.

Also noticed that the home directories are sitting in the root file
system which is problematic with all the check builds folks do.
Means mortal user activity can fill up root fs.

Hmm...cross build environment encapsulated in a git to allow local
check builds.  Maybe once I get my training wheels off I could
explore that.